Connect with us

Business

China pledges funds for completion of Abuja-Kano, PH-Maiduguri Rail lines 

Published

on

Shetima and china

President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China has pledged that China will provide funds for the Abuja-Kano and Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects up to completion.  

The Chinese President made this pledge while meeting with Nigeria’s Vice President Sen. Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the Belt and Road Initiative forum currently being held in Beijing, China.  

The result of the meeting was disclosed in a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications, to the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha.  

He stated that since the commencement of the project, the Chinese government hasn’t released funds leading to delays in progress and achievements in key milestones.  

The statement reads,  

Going further, the Chinese leader also advocated for the safeguarding of Chinese citizens employed in Nigeria, assuring that he would reciprocate by strengthening the bilateral relationship between Nigeria and China. 

President Xi pledged to bolster political backing and foster collaboration across various sectors, expressing gratitude for Nigeria’s adherence to the One China Policy. 

Xi confirmed China’s commitment to promoting Nigeria’s exports, particularly peanuts while emphasizing the significance of the China-Africa talent initiative in their cooperation with Nigeria. 

In 2020, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) granted approval for the Port-Harcourt to Maiduguri railway project, with an estimated budget of $3.02 billion.  

The financing plan for the project involved securing a loan from three Chinese syndicates, covering up to 85% of the project’s cost, while the remaining 15% was to be funded by the Federal government. 

The flag-off ceremony for the railway designed to link the eastern rail corridor of the country, was presided over by former President Buhari in 2021. 

Trending